The perfect portable pizza is easy to make and an instant customer favorite. The clean Ricotta taste lets every flavor shine through. Great for dining in or eating on the run.
21/4 lb. Grande Ricotta
1.13 lb. Grande Mozzarella or Mozzarella Blend, shredded or diced
3 tbsp. Grande Romano, grated
.17 oz. Fresh minced parsley
.17 oz. Salt
.17 oz. Black pepper, freshly ground
.54 lb. Italian sausage, cooked, crumbled (optional)
.54 lb. Pizza vegetable toppings, such as peppers, onions, mushrooms and olives (optional)
41/2 lb. Pizza dough balls
Pizza or marinara sauce, prepared as needed
- In medium bowl, mix Grande Ricotta, Mozzarella or Mozzarella Blend, Romano, parsley, salt and black pepper until thoroughly combined. Cover the Ricotta cheese mixture and chill below 40°F to hold.
- In a separate bowl, combine the Italian sausage and pizza vegetable toppings to create the filling mixture.
- Place 8 oz. of pizza dough on a smooth, flat work surface. Stretch the dough to the desired size (approximately 7” to 10” in diameter).
- Place 6 oz. of Ricotta cheese mixture in the center of the dough circle.
- Top with 2 oz. of the filling mixture.
- Fold one side of the dough over to the other side, encasing the cheese and filling mixtures. Trim any excess dough.
- Crimp the edges and cut 3 vent holes on top.
- Bake on a sheet pan or a screen in a preheated 450°F deck oven for 12 to 18 minutes or until crust is golden brown and internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Serve with a side of sauce for dipping if desired.
- Include 2 to 4 oz. of sauce inside each calzone by spooning it over the filling.
- Substitute pepperoni, ham, salami or other meat for the Italian sausage.
- Add a greater variety of vegetable toppings including peppers, onions, mushrooms, olives, tomatoes and/or broccoli.
- Turn dishes like Caprese salad into a calzone by filling with cheese, tomatoes and basil.