IngredientsDetroit-Style Pizza Yield: One 10" x 14" Detroit-Style Pizza
- 18 oz. Universal Pizza Dough
- 10 oz. Pizza sauce, warmed
- 14 oz. Grande Mozzarella Cheddar Blend
- 4 oz. Grande Mozzarella
- Grande Parmesan or Romano, grated, for dusting
- Oregano, dried, for dusting
- Coat pan with a generous portion of butter, Crisco, olive oil or another type of fat. This helps create the crispy crust.
- Place dough, top side up, in pan. Press out evenly making sure the top has a small amount of fat.
- Either cover pan with plastic, use a lid, or leave uncovered (only if top is coated with fat). If using a proofing box, the temp should be no higher than 110F and can be left for 45 min. to 1 hr. or until doubled in size. If on top of an oven, place a cooling rack or pan underneath to prevent cooking before the dough has risen.
- Once dough has doubled in size, push the dough into the corners taking care not to pull on corners as it will leave an indentation. Once stretched, leave the dough to rise another 30 min.
- After the second rise, par bake the dough at 550F for 6 to 8 min. or until it begins to color. If the par bake is too long and at the improper temperature the dough will shrink away from the corners leaving too much space between the dough and the edge. This will prevent the signature caramelized cheese edges from forming.
- For the final bake, line the edge with the Grande Mozzarella Cheddar Blend and middle with Grande Mozzarella. Bake at 550F for another 7 to 10 min. or until the cheese edges have caramelized.
- After baking, laddle warmed tomato sauce in stripes over the pie and dust with grated cheese and dried oregano.