Since the COVID pandemic, the cleanliness of a restaurant has never been more important to consumers. They begin evaluating the restaurant’s cleanliness the minute they arrive. Is the outside presentable or is there trash scattered? Is the restaurant entryway clean or are there a lot of fingerprints on the door? Once they get to their table they are looking to see if the table and chairs have thoroughly been wiped down. Let’s not forget the restrooms. Are they clean? Are there sufficient supplies?
According to Technomic’s Consumer Brand Metrics, 93% of consumers say restaurant cleanliness is important or very important. If you are not taking the necessary steps to ensure your restaurant is clean, not only may you be at risk of customers not visiting your restaurant, but you also put your customers at risk for different illnesses.
It is critical you provide a clean environment to attract new customers and increase repeat traffic. Use this checklist to get you started.
- Focus on cleaning high-contact areas including counters, tables and chairs frequently. Establish a cleaning schedule for other areas that need to be cleaned daily, weekly and monthly basis. Communicate to your customers what measures you’re taking by using Grande’s Keeping You Safe digital content and sign.
- Make sure your staff washes hands regularly and wears gloves. Consider having staff also wear masks.
- With delivery on the rise, provide safety and peace of mind to your customers by using tamper-resistant stickers on your pizza box and to go containers. Available to all Grande 100-Percenters, click here to order your take-out and delivery stickers from Grande.
- If you have a salad bar or buffet, be sure to place sneeze guards or shields above the food for food safety.
- Remove items from self-serve stations such as straws, lemons and condiments.
Restaurants that go above and beyond to provide a safe, clean dining experience may be more attractive for consumers to visit. Next time you come into your restaurant put yourself in the place of the customer. Do you think your restaurant would provide you an enjoyable experience? If not, note what improvements need to made and create an action plan so you ensure you’re delivering an enjoyable experience for your customers.